Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I hope you find things here that inspire you and make you smile. Please leave comments and come back often!
RSS

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Where Money Grows On Trees

Okay...we all know that money certainly doesn’t grow on trees…
In the United Kingdom, however, passersby have been leaving their “two cents” for the world to see.   In several wooded areas, many have hammered small denomination coins into trees,  though no one really seems to know why.  This phenomenon can be found in and around Cumbria and Portmeirion.  It seems to be a tradition unique to the area.  According to an article in the BBC, the practice might date back to the early 1700s.  It is said that around that time in Scotland, ill people stuck florins into trees with the idea that the tree would take away their sickness.
Being rather superstitious myself, and having a love of tradition...I think this  is awesome.  If I make my way across the pond anytime soon, I will def. be looking to put in a couple of pennies!










0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question about something you have seen on Katie Bryce's blog or a suggestion for a feature? Tweet her your question, comment, or suggestion at twitter.com/ilovekatiebryce